Immigration Support for Non-EEA Pupil Barristers

The Bar Council operates as a Licensed Sponsor on behalf of UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and is therefore able to provide Tier 2 visas for funded pupil barristers and tenants working in chambers in England and Wales, enabling suitably qualified non-European Economic Area (or ‘non-EEA’) nationals who meet the qualifying criteria to train and practise at the Bar.

User information for non-EEA pupil barristers

The Bar Council is an accredited Tier 2 (General) Sponsor and is therefore able to provide Certificates of Sponsorship to suitably qualified non-EEA nationals who have secured positions as pupil barristers or tenants in chambers.

The Certificate of Sponsorship can be used by the individual to apply to UKVI for Tier 2 entry clearance for the duration of their pupillage or, in the case of tenancy, for a maximum of five years. In both cases it is possible to apply for an extension, provided that the total period of sponsorship does not exceed six years.

Upon request, the Bar Council is also able to produce supporting letters for indefinite leave to remain applications.

Find out more

Non-EEA nationals seeking pupillage in the UK are encouraged to contact the Bar Council in order to gain a full understanding of the adaptions we have made, as a specialist Licensed Sponsor, to the Tier 2 terms of reference.

To find out more about the Bar Council Immigration Support Service, please email or call +44 (0)207 611 1321.